Wednesday, August 22, 2007

If this were a TV show, it would be on in the afternoon.


And so it has come to pass, that I have experienced my first drama. At least, I think it's my first drama. The story is long, drawn out, and outright confusing--and I really don't want to repeat it again. I brought story to the written word once, and I don't wish to do it again.
I've often made comparisons to this thing called Second Life with IRC. At a time when I was called Neflite (sadly, a Sailor Moon reference--a time I'm trying to forget about) I spent a lot of time in the IRC circles, as I had a lot of free time. The kind of free time that only college life can truly afford. For those of you not familiar, IRC = Internet Relay Chat, or in layman's terms, an internet chat room. A form of avatarless communication that was created in the early years of the internet.
I digress.
One of Second Life's many applications is what IRC used to accomplish, and that is to have group or individual conversations with complete strangers via the safety anonymity of a computer screen. Strangely, certain faucets of real life could be find in these chat rooms including, but not limited to, friendship, love, and DRAMA! Oh, the DRAMA! What would generally take long periods of time to occur in the real world, could happen within a months time in a chat room. Backstabbing, arguing, relationship triangles, bad breath and no mouthwash.
A certain intimacy is developed with those behind your computer screen, as well as anger and hatred, and I find it completely bizarre. At the time IRC, and now it seems Second Life has become the new reality for a lot of people.
There are many parts of Daxiong Ling that are also the same as his real life persona. So many that fingers and toes can't add them all up. However, Daxiong Ling is Daxiong Ling, and no one else. And both Daxiong Ling and his real life host can differentiate the two worlds, and knows that in SL, you should be there to learn and have fun. The recent drama in my second life almost made me forget that.

No comments: