Friday, August 31, 2007

The difference between us.


Being an avatar in Second Life has, thus far, been quite fulfilling. In my RL wife's eyes, I probably spend too much time in Mindio with my neighbours and other friends. I've more than referred to Second Life as "crack for the masses." If SL is crack, then I'm continually puzzled as to what it's laced with that makes it so addictive. Of course, what good would I be if I didn't at least have a couple of theories that apply to my being.

Okay, I have one theory.

Aside from my wife, I'm having a difficult time finding my real life fulfilling. At some point in the game of LIFE™, I landed on the square where you become increasingly differentiated from all your friends, and gain a new feeling of isolation. Wait.. I don't think that's a square in that game. Regardless, despite good efforts, time has taken it's toll.
Coupling this is the feeling that I should be chasing something, although I don't understand what my prey is supposed to be. Is it my wandering spirit that is continuously calling to me?
Marco!
Polo!
Within the digital confines of Second Life, I believe I may have found that something. Being a former traveling Wilbury, feeling stuck in my native homeland is a common occurrence. Some fear being tied down by love, I feel tied down by playing the role of mature adult. While in the servers, I get the chance to ignore those chains, if not feel liberated from them, although it's for a short time only. Instead of feeling disconnected with so many people in the real world, I can connect with like-minded people on a virtual basis (no pun intended).
If my personal theory holds true, modern life has not only disconnected, but also reconnected me other people. We are, by nature, a social species. It's how we're connected that really helps define who are. Second Life provides me with that fine white line--a digital pimp hard at work.

No comments: