Monday, September 17, 2007

Living with that community feeling.

In my RL home, I have very little contact with my neighbours. Some I wish would move, others I wouldn't mind getting to no better. Either way, we don't talk much. I can't speak for anyone else in this case, but for my household, the whole community feeling doesn't exist. When I was younger I remember exchanging Christmas gifts and cards with nearly everyone around us. There would be occasions of coffee and cards, and other miscellaneous friendly neighbour like activities. I try to figure out why this kind relationship no longer exists and I can only point to two things: media fear-mongering and the suppressed recession that has allowed us to own everything we need for a fraction of what it would cost if it were produced locally. There's no actual need to cross that property line anymore.
In Mindio, I digitally live at the literal end of the block. On one side is another region, and the other is a line of at least partially developed properties. I've actually gotten to know a good number of my neighbours, one of whom I talk to pretty much every time I'm home. Like me, he's a fairly new resident, and thus is still learning (although he's amassing a lot more knowledge than I am). We have both passed on tips, tricks, and scripts to each other but this isn't the reason we've become friends. We simply share the same area and actually enjoy having a friend next door. An element of SL that I wish could mirror into RL.

No comments: